• You cannot reply to this topic

Tremolo vs. Hardtail

#1 User is offline   Brock 

• Known Gaggle
  • PipPip
  • Group: Hon Member

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

Hello all.

I've been looking at fretless guitars online (including here, thanks!) and have noticed a lot of them have tremolo bridges on them. I was wondering if people had them because they use them, or maybe they have them since the guitars they converted to fretless happened to have them.

Do you prefer having a tremolo bridge or a hardtail? Why?

Thanks.

-Brock Frazier

#2 User is offline   Newbie Brad 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Hon Member

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:00 PM

Well, I wnt to convert a Floyd Rose equipped Kramer I have to fretless, and I think I'll like it. But my main guitar is fretless and has the strings passing through the body and over a fixed bridge. And it sounds and sustains well. My luthier keeps telling me strings passing through the body and over a fixed bridge should be best.
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#3 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

Welcome Brock,

Guess it is whatever you are happy with, mine are all fixed though I do have a floyd on an Ibanez somewhere, might still have frets on it. :lol:
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#4 User is offline   Kai 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:52 AM

View PostBrock, on Aug 7 2007, 11:41 AM, said:

Hello all.

I've been looking at fretless guitars online (including here, thanks!) and have noticed a lot of them have tremolo bridges on them. I was wondering if people had them because they use them, or maybe they have them since the guitars they converted to fretless happened to have them.

Thanks.

-Brock Frazier

In my case, because they happened to have them. See the thread on Floyd Rose rigs.
[i]"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..."[/i] - Hunter S. Thompson
[url="http://soundcloud.com/csharporchestra"]C# Orchestra on Soundcloud[/url]

#5 User is offline   gazmungus 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Bollocksician

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:53 PM

View PostBrock, on Aug 7 2007, 05:41 PM, said:

I'd like one for reasons mentioned in the other thread, but I can't be bothered with the maintainence.....

Not sure if I could get one to work on a gut string...
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

#6 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:04 PM

View Postcorcoran, on Aug 8 2007, 03:53 PM, said:

I'd like one for reasons mentioned in the other thread, but I can't be bothered with the maintainence.....

Not sure if I could get one to work on a gut string...

It would be terribly wobbly on a gut string.

Yep, the maintenance. You have to be pretty good to keep everything mint, luckily I had a mentor to explain the intricasies of floyd set up. And if you break a string during performance, you just can't carry on, all the other strings are drastically retuned. That's why metal guitarists always have two guitars on stage. Or multiples of two!

:)
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#7 User is offline   gazmungus 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Bollocksician

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

View Postjahloon, on Aug 13 2007, 01:04 AM, said:

Yep, the maintenance. You have to be pretty good to keep everything mint, luckily I had a mentor to explain the intricasies of floyd set up. And if you break a string during performance, you just can't carry on, all the other strings are drastically retuned. That's why metal guitarists always have two guitars on stage. Or multiples of two!

There's always that hipshot tremsetter or whatever it's called, I haven't got them for my strats (yet) but they're supposed to solve that giant double locking floating falcrum string breakage oil rig platform syndrome......

And they allow fixed string bending too - but I suppose we don't do that sort of thing around here (of course - I do :) )

Apparantly Yngwie has a nylon strung strat with a bar :D
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users